surf mydomain.com vs www.mydomain.com

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 17:38:23 UTC 2001

Brandon Yu wrote:

> If a user were to put in their web browser "mydomain.com" and I wanted to
> re-direct them to  <http://www.mydomain.com> http://www.mydomain.com how
> could I achieve this properly? I heard you could modify the bind 8
> configuration to achieve this. Please also assume that the browser does not
> do any magic.

mydomain.com already do this *8-)

A quick peak will show you how....

18:32:26 srw srw $ dig +short mydomain.com
64.75.34.137
18:32:31 srw srw $ dig +short www.mydomain.com
64.75.34.137

So they create an A record for the domain pointing to the same
IP address as the www record - bet that one isn't in the archive
of this list *;-)

Of course the http server will need to know what to do with the
requests, otherwise you might end up with a site like;

http://kernels.org/
http://www.kernels.org/

And I don't think you'd want that.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768