BIND 8.2.2-P5 downgrade

Waltner, Steve swaltner at lsil.com
Tue Aug 14 22:47:19 UTC 2001

# mv /usr/sbin/in.named /usr/sbin/in.named.solaris8
# mv /usr/sbin/named-xfer /usr/sbin/named-xfer.solaris8
(Restore /usr/sbin/in.named & /usr/sbin/named-xfer from the backup you made
of your system before a major OS upgrade)
# /usr/sbin/shutdown -y -i6 -g0
(Download and install BIND 9.1.3 and get upgraded to a current DNS server)

If you don't have a backup from before the upgrade, first whip yourself with
a wet noodle for not obeying a golden rule of system administration, then
try grabbing a copy from a non-upgraded Solaris system. If that fails, you
can try using extracting the two files from your old Solaris ?2.6? install
CDs. You might need to use pkgtrans to extract a package file, althogh I
believe Sun wasn't packing their packages as a single file back in those
days. Be sure you don't apply a Sun patch that replaces these files, or
you'll be back in the same boat. The best solution is to just install BIND
9.1.3 from source in a new directory.

Steve