multiple DNS entries

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 15:42:31 UTC 2001

trapped in windows wrote:

> I have 3 DNS IP numbers. One is for internal use, and the other two
> for external (from our ISP). I want to put all three into windows 2000
> DNS service, with the internal one displayed first.

Don't do this at the client end.

Microsoft may label things like "DNS servers in order they are
searched" (I paraphrase), but if you want a DNS system that
works, and you can understand, make sure all the servers listed
have exactly the same view of the DNS.

The simplest approach would be to set up a second internal DNS
server, so you have redundancy on the inside, and allow both
Internal DNS servers to resolve Internet queries from Internet
root servers.

The only reason people do this that I can see is that the
Internal DNS servers are unreliable or misconfigured. The first
is easily dealt with by setting up another internal DNS server.