prioritzation of resolving dns queires

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 15 20:23:09 UTC 2001

Wade Grant wrote:

> I have situation that needs resolution.  I run a split DNS setup and
> yesterday I lost connectivity from my ISP beyond the perimeter.
> Suddenly the internal DNS pegged out on it's processor due to it not
> being able to resolve outside addresses. This happen at a peak time for
> us and I could not get users to access internal systems through DNS
> resolution due to the DNS being overloaded with requests for outside
> resources.  How can I force the server to manage queries so that
> internal record request take priority over everything else?
> any suggestions would be appreciated.

The direct answer to your question is: there's no way in BIND, as far as
I know, to alter processing priority for queries based on what domain/zone
they are in. Your basic choices are either a) throw more hardware and/or
more sophisticated software (e.g. BIND 9, which should bear up better
under these circumstances because of its multi-threadedness) at the
problem and hope that it's enough to survive an extended outage or
b) reconfigure your DNS temporarily during an extended outage so as to
remove the source of the resource consumption (e.g. switch over to an
internal-root-with-wildcard configuration).