SNMP

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 16 18:16:41 UTC 2001

    Karri> Is it realy true that BIND does not support SNMP? If so, I
    Karri> find it very disapointing since SNMP is very widly used.

The RFCs describing the MIBs for DNS were moved to historical status a
long time ago. AFAIK they were never implemented in BIND, though no
doubt some people added code to do that themselves. I doubt these MIBs
will be revived or implemented any time soon. Probably the best way to
start would be by getting a new MIB through the IETF standardisation
process. But that will take a while to percolate through to an
implementation: maybe 12-18 months. And maybe the same again before
that BIND version is widely deployed.