Oddness with a query

Duncan Hill dhill at cricalix.net
Thu Aug 16 21:52:53 UTC 2001

dig www.pct.edu

> >(nslookup)
> > - nslookup returns a value.

> That might be helpful.  In conjunction with DNS queries, a common
> reason for destination unreachable is an answer arriving after the
> client has timed out.  When the client closes the socket, the port
> becomes unreachable, and the host will generate an ICMP Destination
> Unreachable - Port Unreachable in response to the answer packet.

[17:45] cuendllr:avatar 3
~> nslookup www.pct.edu
Server:  ns4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net
Address:  167.206.112.4

Name:    mayer.pct.edu
Address:  12.23.198.64
Aliases:  www.pct.edu

[17:46] cuendllr:avatar 4
~> dig www.pct.edu

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> www.pct.edu
;; res_nsend to server default -- 167.206.112.4: Connection timed out
[17:47] cuendllr:avatar 5

The biggest stumper is that this was working last week as of Wednesday.
Something happened (I don't know what or where, *I* didn't change
anything) and mail etc broke.

Throw in the fact that another machine on the LAN has a packet loss of
98% when pinged, and the only ping to come back had a time of 74
seconds, I'm starting to think I need to travel to NYC and look at the
problem first hand, rather than via a SSH session.

--

Sapere aude
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.