root server trafifc

Duane Powers duane at uberLAN.net
Fri Aug 17 23:48:26 UTC 2001

Hi all,

Got a question about something I don't quite get. I've got some pretty
heavily laden resolvers, as well as some busy authoritative nameservers.
We're seeing a lot of traffic on the caching resolvers from the
different root servers, and I'm wondering why that might be. Why would
the root servers query us? or is it the other way around - are we
querying the root nameservers... ??? We are running on a solaris
platform and if I run an iplog, and view udp packets - I see the packets
there. How can I determine if these are replies or requests, and is
there a reason for the root servers to query my caching resolver?

Thanks,

~duane