BIND behind Cisco 827 router

Ya Wen ya4wen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 01:51:27 UTC 2001

Hi, everyone:

I just set up a BIND 8.2.4 server on my W2K server.
This server is given a private IP address but is
staticlly mapped into a public IP address by a Cisco
827 ADSL router. This server is acting as the primary
DNS server for my .com domain. Now I can resolve
everything from internal hosts to outside hosts, but
external hosts could not resolve anything on my
domain, always get a "server no response" error. I
checked the archive and understood that there is some
issues about the ALG(Application Level Gateway) on
Cisco router IOS. But I did not find any good solution
about this issue. I do not want to have my ISP to host
my DNS server and I really want to use private IP
address for this server (I know if I readdress this
server to use the public IP, I will solve the
problem). Anybody have any fix for this or at least
some pointer I can use?

Thanks very much!

-Ya