Windows 2000 dns compatibility with HP-UX(bind 4.9)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Aug 23 12:29:16 UTC 2001

At 04:53 AM 8/23/01, Turner, David R IT1 (CNE N655D) wrote:

>right now  we are running a HP-ux box for our dns. they are primary and
>secondary. we are planning to make out secondary a windows 2000 dns server.
>are there any compatibility issues that i should be aware about. any help
>would be really great

Yes.  W2K DNS does not support TSIG. Microsoft created something else
that they call GSS-TSIG which is different and incompatible.
Furthermore, you will need to support DNSSEC, and I don't think that Microsoft
supports that either yet.

You're better off installing BIND on a W2K Pro machine and save money as
well.

         Danny