Problem with slave server not saving files

Paul Wiltsey PCW at akc.org
Fri Aug 24 15:01:41 UTC 2001

Did you try paired allow-update and also notify options on the master and slave?

I believe it is different from allow-transfer

>>> jsmailing at clickcom.com 08/24/01 09:23AM >>>

I work in a company that has for years now, been using 2 master servers that
replicate off each other via a crontabbed scp. I'm trying to migrate them to
a master->slave relationship instead. The problem is that I can't seem to
get the slave to populate any backup files as is described behavior in the
O'reilly book.

The slave name server (NS3) starts up and runs just fine, answering queries
for local domains and remote. However for the ones that it is noted as slave
for, in the config, it is not saving local copies of the zone transfers
(assuming that it's doing them).

I converted the master over (NS1), and now am trying to set up the slave
(NS3), while keeping NS2 running like it was (copying the files).

I'm using a chroot'ed enviroment which is working fine on the master which
is very much like what you see on
http://profile.sh/bsdwiki/index.php?Setting%20up%20secure%20DNS%20servers%20
with%20BIND%20under%20FreeBSD
with the exception that i'm using 8.2.4 and I have everything in /etc/namedb
with all the data files in /etc/namedb/sandbox/virtuals/ &
/etc/namedb/sandbox/etc (reverses/db.cache). Everything from /etc/namedb
down is owned by bind.bind and is chmod'ed 775.

Here's the relavent parts of the config:
options {
        check-names master fail;
        check-names slave warn;
        check-names response ignore;
        directory "./";
        allow-transfer { the_/24_that_ns3_is_in; };
        statistics-interval 1;
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" { type master; file "sandbox/etc/db.127.0.0"; };

zone "domain.com" { type slave; file "sandbox/etc/domain.com.db"; masters
{ My_NS1_IP; };};

Now, when I start it up using debug, my log file gets this:

evSetTimer(ctx 0x812d000, func 0x8063024, uap 0x80e2210, due
998601836.000000000, inter 0.000000000)
23-Aug-2001 17:23:56.785 maintenance: debug 1: next maintenance for zone
'domain.com' in 0 sec
23-Aug-2001 17:23:56.785 config: debug 1: zone[8] type 2: 'domain.com'
z_time 998601836, z_refresh 600

I read where I could restart the master server to force the slave to update,
however NS3 isn't listed in any of the zone records anywhere (because it'll
simply be assigned the IP/name of NS2 as soon as it displays that it's
working).

Advice?
John Straiton
jks at clickcom.com