forwarder question

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Wed Aug 22 11:29:08 UTC 2001

I've just had a look at this on the wire with BIND 9.2.0b2, and the
forwarders are still contacted sequentially.  Timeout before servfail is 90
secs, but the individual query timeout behaviour has me completely beaten.
The other thing that I found was that my copy of dig by default sent two
queries with the same Query ID, and although as expected there did not seem
to be two separate streams of forwarded queries, BIND replied with two
servfails!

All this is a bit of a shame, since personally I only discovered yesterday
that BIND 8.2.3 used RTTs for forwarders (with my particular usage, this is
most welcome).  I had been intending to upgrade to 9.2.0 when it becomes
available but the RTT, but now it seems there are further factors to
consider.  I'd certainly welcome comment from ISC/Nominum (who specifies?)
as to whether/when forwarders will revert to using RTTs.

rgds to all, Marc TXK

                    "Cricket Liu"
                    <cricket at nxdoma        To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
                    in.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: forwarder question
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    22/08/2001
                    04:18

> Anyone know if BIND 9 still uses forwarders sequentially ? I'm
> sure I saw a reference saying it now uses RTT, but all I can
> find is a comment that it doesn't in February of this year.

As far as I know, BIND 9 still uses forwarders sequentially.
The RTT tracking code wasn't in 9.1.0, and I don't see anything
in CHANGES to indicate that it's been added.

cricket