restarting named...takes a long long time ???

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Aug 24 23:48:49 UTC 2001

At 01:11 PM 8/24/01, Frank Benady wrote:
>Hi all
>

>I run Bind 8.2.3-REL on Linux Red Hat 6.0
>

>named serves about 4000 zones on the server.
>
>The pb : it takes 20 up to 30 minutes to restart named with the following
>command
>
>/usr/sbin/named -c /etc/named/named.conf
>
>  Is it normal ? Is it because of the 4000 db.files it has to read ?

Go to BIND 9, which will at least allow it to serve the zones as they are loaded
and doesn't have to wait until they are done.

>Moreover, when named restarts the syslogd start eating up all the ressources
>on the server.
>Do I have to stop syslod before restarting named ?

No, it just has a lot of messages to write. If this is a concern, consider writing
the logs to it's own file.

>If I do a simple kill -HUP, are the new zones loaded ? It seems it isn't....
>Or what about the ndc reload command ?

There is no need to reload if you are just adding or modifying zones.  Just use
ndc reconfig.  You shouldn't use signals anyway.

         Danny