Unknown host... Just one though???

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Aug 27 23:51:03 UTC 2001

In article <9melsf$jsk at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Randy H <rhislop at nospam.eba.ca> wrote:
>People in our domain are sending and receiving mail to/from hither and yon
>all the time with no problem,,,, except for one or two places, on of which
>is..  bficanada.com.  I can send mail there if I dial up to an ISP and send
>it from there, but if I try from here, no go.... unkknown host.  They can't
>send mail to me either.

What do you see if you do:

dig bficanada.com ns
dig bficanada.com mx

A couple of weeks ago we had a customer who couldn't send to one domain.
It turned out that his internal nameserver was configured as a slave server
for the domain containing the nameservers for that problem domain, and the
master was an internal nameserver at some remote site (I think they have a
backdoor connection between their sites).  This internal version of that
domain didn't have A records for the external nameserver names, so his
nameserver was unable to connect to the remote nameservers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA