OpenServer: BIND buffer overflows, Hunh ???

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 00:22:46 UTC 2001

"Mr. James W. Laferriere" wrote:

>         Hello All ,  Caldera International has sent out a security update
>         with the above reason .  They are using 8.2.5 (rc1?) as their
>         replacement .  Is there some deficiency in 8.2.4 ?  Or are they
>         finally getting around to ugrading from 8.2.3 ?-} .

Reading the report it reads as if they are finally getting
around to upgrading from pre-8.2.3, which I find hard to
believe, but I guess Open Server is a minority interest these
days (Stir stir *8-)

The CERT article referenced refers to problems in pre 8.2.3
versions.

There are problems with 8.2.3 (or we wouldn't have 8.2.4 or
8.2.5rc1), but as far as I know none of them is known to be
exploitable, and I'm sure ISC would arrange to upgrade the root
DNS servers and notify CERT if there were known issues.