will Bind (OpenVMS) will permit 2 sites on 1 IP address (& how?)

Mary Fagan mhftex at msn.com
Tue Aug 28 02:23:25 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Danny Mayer
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 4:39 PM
To: jcring at switch.com; comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
Subject: Re: will Bind (OpenVMS) will permit 2 sites on 1 IP address (& how?)
I can see that I should have made sure of exactly what version of OpenVMS (and associated Digital TCP/IP
software) that we are running, and, if necessary I will check with the comp.os.vms group to
help make sure there is not some unforeseen hitch. (I suspect I will find out we need to upgrade whatever we have.)
FYI, the desire was to have a URL of dept.org.com instead of www.org.com/dept  (and dept2.org.com, center.org.com, etc.)
I think since my sys adm feels we need to set up a separate machine with it's own IP to do this,
we will need to make sure that we know exactly what to do before we touch the DNS. It's probably an
understandable concern that we might mess up a working DNS trying to do something we don't
fully understand. And yet, I don't think setting up separate servers for every group (and keeping them
patched) is the best direction if DNS (and header records in IIS)
can be used to point to multiple sites on one server.
Thanks.
Open
M 8/27/01, John C. Ring, Jr. wrote:
>In article <9mds1g$cpp at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> wrote:

> >>Just FYI, but once you've gotten straight what you want, the comp.os.vms group
> >
> >>will definately have folks familiar with UCX (Digital's TCP/IP stack) who can
> >>say if it can be done or not with UCX.  (For myself, I find it very difficult
> >>to believe UCX cannot handle multiple zones.  I know Multinet on VMS handles
> >>them, but I've not used UCX.)
> >
> >I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  The IP stack has nothing to do
> >with the question.
>
>Strictly true.  However, TCP/IP support is not "native" in VMS, so one needs
>to install a layered product such as UCX or Multinet.  AFAIK, most VMS
>installations use the Bind that is bundled with UCX and/or Multinet.  That's
>why I phrased it that way.

The IP stack IS native in OpenVMS 7.1 and maybe earlier, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the question. The latest version that I have is VMS 6.1 where
UCX was an addon and it certainly did NOT include BIND.  In any case even the
most primitive version of BIND or any other DNS will allow you to add A records.

> >If you are really suggesting that UCX cannot handle more
> >than one IP address
>
>Not in the slightest.  I find it highly unlikely that the UCX version/port of
>Bind would be broken in any such fundamential way.  That's why I suggested the
>poster check on comp.os.vms for UCX specific information on that Bind
>version/port, since it sounded to me that his system admin was mistaken.

Adding an A record does not require a check with another new group.

>I brought up zones because I'm uncertain what the poster actually wants.  It
>sounded to me that he wants something like the movie makers do in making a
>different domain for each movie, instead of different URLs in the same domain.

If you had REALLY read the message, you would know that a) it's a woman who's
first name is Mary; b) that it wasn't a different domain; and c) it's irrelevant.

         Danny