Denied Update Errors on Secondary Servers

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Tue Aug 28 12:28:06 UTC 2001

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of the following type of messages

17-Aug-2001 11:33:30.192 denied update from [128.244.80.51].35631 for
"244.128.i
n-addr.arpa"

After tracing down the source, I found it was another group's AIX DHCP
server.  We began seeing this after the admin had configured the DHCP server
to update their client's PTR record; thus why I surmise I'm only seeing the
error for the reverse zone.  Initially after working with the admin we
thought that perhaps since the DHCP server had our secondary servers listed
in the /etc/resolv.conf it was trying those first.  The admin proceeded to
remove the secondary servers from /etc/resolv.conf and only list the primary
server where it is allowed to do the updates. At first it seemed like that
fixed the problem but then it starting appearing again. However, it's not
very consistent. It might happen today but then not again for another 3 days
or it may happen the next day.  No changes have been made on the DHCP
server.  We've been trying to pinpoint what is causing the error.  We're
close to running a trace to try and track down what is causing but thought
perhaps there's something else we're missing that might be the cause. Any
insight, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Smith
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
The Johns Hopkins University                    Washington DC: 240-228-5523
Applied Physics Laboratory                      MD: 443-778-5523
11100 Johns Hopkins Road                        Fax: 443-778-5727
Laurel, MD 20723-6099 					Web:
http://www.jhuapl.edu/