The dreaded CNAME

Digest digest at cihost.com
Wed Aug 29 01:12:12 UTC 2001

What is the proper method for setting up a basic domain as a CNAME
record in bind 8.2.4?

Prior to bind 8.2.3, I was using something similar to the following:

foo.com.   IN   SOA  ns.mydomain.net. hostmaster.mydomain.net. (
                99072719 86400 7200 3600000 28800 )
foo.com.        IN      NS      ns.mydomain.net.
foo.com.        IN      NS      ns2.mydomain.net.
foo.com.        IN      CNAME   bar.com.

However, since 8.2.3, I can no longer get away with this.

What is the proper manner for pointing foo.com to bar.com, as an alias
or CNAME?

(And before you ask why I don't just use A records--In my situation, it
is not an option.)

Thanks In Advance.

-JSM