Reverse IP delegation question

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 01:34:47 UTC 2001

"news.onr.com" wrote:

> I want to delegate a class C to someone connected to my network,
> using 8.2.3 on a SunOS 5.5.1 box.
>
> Currently its setup so I have to do all the updates
> in the zone file, i.e.
> $TTL 3600;

Too small

> @       IN      SOA   ns1.mydomain.com.   second.mydomain.com.    (
>                                         2001082206
>                                         10800   ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                                         3600    ; Retry after 1 hour
>                                         604800  ; Expire after 1 week
>                                         86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day

					^^^^^^^^ too large and not the minimum TTL.

>                         IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
>
> 1       IN      PTR    somename.example.com.
> 254

This zone file is irrelevant to the question. You should be
delegating this from the zone above (i.e. zone
nnn.mmm.in-addr.arpa (or higher) should list the nameservers of
the class C mmm.nnn.ooo)

> I would like to delegate it so the admin of ns1.example.com can
> make those updates himself without access to my server.

He sets up a nameserver or two, and you may act as a secondary.
I'd ignore dynamic update till you've mastered the basics. If
all the nameservers in the organisation are definitely primaries
or secondaries you don't need the delegation, but hey why not,
it'll be fun *8-)

Documentation - well "DNS and BIND" 4th Edition by Albitz and
Cricket is pretty good.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768