DNS Help on FreeBSD 4.3

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Wed Aug 29 03:38:14 UTC 2001

Mike wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting my dns to recognize, i'm not sure what i've
> done wrong. I've included my zone files and my named.conf. I can ping
> ns1.heatfc.com and ns2 but I cannot ping heatfc.com

your zone file has all kinds of errors.

you're missing a lot of trailing dots, you have the NS records entered
wrong, and you have both a CNAME and an A record for www.  you're
pointing an MX to a non-existent host as far as i can tell from your
message.

try something like this
(this is a bit easier to read too)

$TTL 2h
@ SOA ns1.heatfc.com mikej.satx.rr.com. (
		2 ; Serial
		3h ; refresh
		30m ; retry
		3w ; expire
		5m ) ; minimum
		NS	ns1.heatfc.com.
		NS	ns2.heatfc.com.
		A	64.123.85.35
		MX	 0 mail.heatfc.com.
		MX	 10 mail.swbell.net.
ns1		A	64.123.85.200
ns2		A	64.123.85.201
www		A	64.123.85.35
spectrum	A 	64.123.85.35
mail		A	64.123.85.35
; i don't understand why you're delegating heatfc.heatfc.com to the same
; nameservers as the parent but maybe i'm missing something??
heatfc		NS	ns1.heatfc.com.
heatfc		NS	ns2.heatfc.com

obviously you may need to modify the specifics a bit.
if you're running bind9, try the named-checkzone utility.

my example seems to load ok:
jazz% named-checkzone heatfc.com test
zone heatfc.com/IN: loaded serial 2
OK