DNS Help on FreeBSD 4.3

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 29 03:46:12 UTC 2001

> I'm having trouble getting my dns to recognize, i'm not sure what i've done
> wrong. I've included my zone files and my named.conf. I can ping
> ns1.heatfc.com and ns2 but I cannot ping heatfc.com

	Firstly leading white space is significate in a zone file.
	" IN SOA ..." is interpreted differently to "IN SOA ...",
	in the later case IN is seen as a name not the class.

	Secondly you need to specify the name of the first record.  Use
	@ for the current origin (defaults to zone name).  Subsequent
	records can skip the name and it will be inherited from the
	previous record.
	e.g. "@ IN SOA ..."

	Thirdly absolute domainnames in zone files need a final period
	otherwise the current origin is appended.
	e.g. " IN NS ns1.heatfc.com."

	Fourthly check the log files when the nameserver starts.  These
	zone files would have caused errors to be reported.

	Now with this all in mind go through each record and correct them
	appropriately.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org