BIND 9 Not Sending Updates?

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Aug 29 18:06:42 UTC 2001

Are you using Dynamic Update? If you are, you should not be messing
with the zone file at all. If you don't, then why are you trying to
run nsupdate? With an input file that is complete gibberish to it,
too. (Judging from the errors.)

I guess 2000031273 is the SOA serial. Did you increment it after
changing the zone file? Otherwise BIND won't know it has changed, and
thus it won't send any notifies, regardless of what you do. The
secondaries ask for the SOA every SOA REFRESH interval, and check the
serial against what they have; if the one on the server is higher, the
zone is pulled.

By the way, you don't need semicolons in the zone files. Those just
start a comment, which then extends to the end of the line.

Michael Kjörling

On Aug 29 2001 10:43 -0700, Hunter Hillegas wrote:

> I don't think my message made it to the list...
>
> Anyway, I'm still having problems.
>
> I tried running: 'nsupdate my-file.zone'
>
> And it spat out a bunch of errors like:
>
> incorrect section name: $TTL
> incorrect section name: @
> incorrect section name: 2000031273
> incorrect section name: 7200
> incorrect section name: 3600
> incorrect section name: 60480
> incorrect section name: 7200;
> incorrect section name: )
> incorrect section name: @
> incorrect section name: @
> incorrect section name: @
> incorrect section name: @
> incorrect section name: www
> incorrect section name: ftp
> incorrect section name: mail
> incorrect section name: *
>
> My domains are still not sending updates to the secondaries since the move
> to BIND 9.1.0 (Red Hat 7.1).
>
> I only have SSH access to the machine so I can't use Red Hat's other tools.
> The editing of the file worked fine for me in older versions of BIND.
>
> Any help is GREATLY appreciated...
>
> Hunter

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****