Question regarding recursion...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 29 22:06:10 UTC 2001

In article <9mjocj$mlr at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Cricket Liu <cricket at nxdomain.com> wrote:
>So RA indicates whether recursive query support is *available*, not
>whether recursion was used.  I'd argue that clearing it for responses
>that didn't require recursion is a misinterpretation of the RFC.

I agree, although I can imagine a server design that only permits recursion
for names in some domains but not others.  How should this set the RA bit?

I wonder why the OP cares.  Do any stub resolvers check the RA flag in the
contains the information requested.  I suppose a resolver could decide that
a server that clears RA should not be used in the future.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA