multiple dns servers on same domain?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Aug 30 18:19:22 UTC 2001

In article <9mluli$5dv at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Savas Pavlidis <_pavlidis_ at yalco.gr> wrote:

>I know that this must be a stupid question, but....
>I have one domain, and two subnets
>on the same domain.
>I would like to have a separate dns server
>for each subnet.
>the first subnet has address from 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254
>the second from 10.1.2.1 to 10.1.2.254
>All hosts should be in the form
>{hostname}{domainname}.
>This means that same zone should
>appear on the servers ( the {domainname} zone)
>and this must be illegal./
>Each dns server should have the other
>as slave.

Do you mean that if someone with a 10.1.1.x address looks up host111.domain
they should get 10.1.1.111, but if someone with a 10.1.2.x address looks up
host111.domain they should get 10.1.2.111?

You should be able to do this with BIND 9's "views" feature.  Each server
would have a view for each subnet.  In one view, server A would be the
master and B would be the slave, while in the other view server B would be
the master and A would be the slave.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA