bind 8.1.2, 8.2.X socket overflow on HPUX 10.20

Scott Danielson danielss at uhc.com
Thu Aug 30 23:00:34 UTC 2001

We are seeing a lot of UDP socket overflows on our HPUX 10.20 servers running bind 8.X (tried 8.1.2, 8.2.2 p7, 8.2.4, & 8.2.5).

  We started monitoring DNS availability soon after we experiance major problems with DNS hanging (5 - 20 mins), required a restart of named.  We started monitoring 3 weeks ago.

  Updating named from 8.1.2 to 8.2.2 p7 solved the problem with named hanging.
However, we continued to see frequent periods were dns was unavailable for 2-3 mins at a time. We didn't have to restart named.

  Updating named from 8.2.2 p7 to 8.2.4 seamed to the reduce the of occurances where dns was unavailable, but didn't eliminate.  We are currently at 8.2.5rc2 no major differance.

  We have worked with HP on the problem with no success in solving the socket overflow issues.  We are now at the latest HPUX 10.20 patches with kernal and network configurations optimize for UDP traffic.

  The socket overflows occure at random intervals throughout the day, including over night when loads are very low.  We even see these socket overflows on one DNS server that has probably only 100 computers configured to use it.

  Has anyone seen these type issues on HP-UX systems, or have any thoughts on possible named configurations that could be causing these type availablity issues.

Thanks in advance
Need more info?

--

Scott J. Danielson

Unix Services & Consulting              _/    _/ _/    _/  _/_/_/
United HealthGroup.                    _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/
E-Mail:  danielss at uhc.com             _/    _/ _/_/_/_/ _/
Phone:  (763) 797-4269               _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/
Fax:   (763) 797-4333                _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/
Route: MN10-W116