incomplete Dynamic Updates from W2K?

Pat Masterson bat at grumman.com
Fri Aug 31 22:47:16 UTC 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Cricket Liu wrote:

> > Yes, I know they do. I  now have 2 guys with the same reverse IP data.
> > But, my question was, what is causing updates to be entered with no IP
> > number in them? Is is the DHCP machine, or BIND not recording them
> > properly?
>
> They're not "entered with no IP number in them."  Here's
> the section you noticed:
>
> 115     900     IN      PTR     W7810712.md.esss.northgrum.com.
>            900     IN      PTR     W789087.md.esss.northgrum.com.
>
> BIND dumped the second record with leading whitespace,
> so it inherits "115" as the owner name.  It's exactly equivalent
> to:
>
> 115     900     IN      PTR     W7810712.md.esss.northgrum.com.
> 115     900     IN      PTR     W789087.md.esss.northgrum.com.

 Cricket, are you implying that there were dynamic updates with the same
IPs  sent to BIND, and that it merely displays with leading whitespace?
 Wow. If thats the case, where should I look for the culprit? Doesn't the
W2K DHCP server check for the existance of a record with the same IP
before sending an insert?

*  Pat Masterson  B38-01,  Northrop Grumman,     *  Ham:KE2LJ
*  20 Orville Road,                              *  President Grumman Amateur
*  Bohemia,  NY                                  *  Radio Club  WA2LQO
*  email: bat at grumman.com   Fone: 631-218-6746   *  www.qsl.net/wa2lqo