Setting Bind so clients don't cache resolved Domain's IP's ??

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 01:22:09 UTC 2001

Scott M wrote:

> At the moment when I request www.domain.com, only one DNS request is made
> and the client's browser uses the returned IP to get all the data, but I
> would like it so the client does not cache the returned IP and therefore
> when ever it comes across www.domain.com in the html it has to re-query the
> DNS server. So if there is ten images and 4 links to html pages, then I want
> 10 DNS queries to be made and if they choose a html page then I want it to
> look up the DNS again.
>
> Does any one know if this can be done, with TTL's or a no cache option in
> bind or something or is this something that the clients browser does?

As far as I am aware there is no guaranteed way to do this via
DNS. You can set a low TTL - 0 seconds is best avoided according
to Cricket - but it wouldn't guarantee 10 requests for 10
images.

Now why on earth do you want to slow things down so much as to
retrieve a seperate DNS request for every image - why not add in
spurious round trip times to downloading a web site....?

Load balancing can be achieved by other means, although a small
TTL might help spread work more evenly.

Anyway if we know what you are trying to achieve we can probably
supply some ideas on how to do it. As regards browsers, some web
browsers do their own caching - probably a bad idea - but that
never stopped people implementing something in software in my
experience.