PTR Question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 3 16:09:55 UTC 2001

In article <9uf84r$r25 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Rodney <intersolution at cableone.net> wrote:
>what does 2 PTR mean and do i need a PTR statement for ns2 and backup

PTR records are used to perform reverse DNS: translating IP addresses back
into hostnames.

If you own your own block of addresses, you should have a reverse domain
for the block and it should contain PTR records for all the static address
assignments.  If your nameservers are in your address block, they should be
in there.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA