newbie BIND/DNS question, nslookup woes

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Dec 3 22:42:29 UTC 2001

> I set up BIND on a sparc4 running Solaris 7 as a caching nameserver
> pointing towards my isp's DNS.  All other machines on my network point
> towards this server for DNS and can browse the internet, email, use
> usenet, ping, etc. which requires DNS for name resolution.  When I try
> nslookup I get the following message:
>
> bash-2.05# nslookup
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.30:Non-existent
> host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available
>
> but as proof that the server is working, if I try this:

	Please read the error message.  192.168/16 is private address
	space.  Do you really expect the Internet to provide reverse
	resolution for your private address space?  The servers for
	168.192.in-addr.arpa receive some 13 thousand queries a second
	that should never appear on the Internet in the first place.
	Please do you part and serve the appropriate reverse zones
	for the private address space you are using.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org