MS dynamic DNS supports static and dynamic entries in same zone?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Dec 4 13:44:56 UTC 2001

Joe Yao <jsdy at center.osis.gov> wrote:

>I did not mean to say that only initialization and not other tasks may
>be done by the GUI.  What I meant to say is that initialization [and
>change] can only be done with the GUI, and not by other means.  I may
>be wrong, anyway, but that was my understanding.

One can initialize a zone on a MS W2k DNS server either through the GUI,
through the command line "dnscmd /recordadd" command, or by providing
a BIND-style zone file.  Once the zone exists, one can update it via
the GUI or the "dnscmd" set of commands, or via DDNS (if the zone is
authorized for dynamic updates).
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov