Potential problem.

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Tue Dec 4 13:59:36 UTC 2001

I'm working on changing the layout of our name servers so that they work
like this:

Name server Z is the hidden master.  Lives behind a special firewall.
Accepts no name queries.  Accepts zone transfer requests only from name
servers A-D.

Name servers A and B are listed in the WHOIS database and are connected to
the enterprise DMZ (outside the enterprise firewall).  Accept queries from
anywhere and accept relayed queries from name servers C and D.  Servers A
and B are slaves to server Z.

Name servers C and D are connected inside the enterprise firewall and accept
queries only from internal users.  Relay is enabled.  All queries for 'new'
stuff are relayed to servers A or B.  Servers C and D are slaves to server
Z.

The enterprise firewall blocks any name queries in both directions, except
traffic among the five servers.

Potential problem:  All five name servers will need NS records for
themselves, right?  If so, won't external name servers cache that and
attempt to round-robin queries among all five, and thus fail three out of
five queries?

Later...

Justin McNutt
Network Systems Analyst - Expert