Why are they asking for both the DNS server and the IP?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Dec 4 19:53:39 UTC 2001

In article <9uj8u0$o3l at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jackrabbit Slim  <jackrabbit at taxplus.net> wrote:
>So if my dsl provider (Pacbell) has assigned me a host name of
>"adsl-123-456-789-123.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net" should I put that into the
>first field?

You could, although most people find it preferable to use a shorter
hostname in their own domain.  E.g. ns.mydomain.com.

>or should I put www.mydomain.com in there assuming that the ip address I put
>into the second field will make it stick?

I recommend using a different name from your web site.  That way, if you
decide to move your web hosting but leave your DNS where it is, you won't
have to update the host registration.

>Could I leave the first field blank and still expect it to work?

How could it possibly work?  The COM domain needs to have an entry like:

mydomain.com. IN NS <hostname>

If you don't give them a server name, what would they put in <hostname>?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA