DNS capabilities for formatting a clean host table

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Dec 6 20:58:53 UTC 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:33:48PM -0500, Pozar, Frank wrote:
> Are there any commands that can be used to pull hostname/IP lists from the
> dns zone files and format them to be easily captured in a file?
> We are in a UNIX environment and are looking to turn off the NIS host map..
> We have many scripts that pull data from the host map using the ypcat
> command and others. We need an alternative source file for the scripts to
> access and would like to derive it from the DNS tables which always contain
> the latest.
>
> Can nslookup or dig provide this data??

Try 'dix axfr eds.com' [e.g.]

Another one is 'echo "ls -d eds.com" | nslookup' ... similar output,
not quite as elegant.

If you need to specify the name server, use [e.g.]:

	dig axfr eds.com @ns1.eds.com
	echo "ls -d eds.com" | nslookup - ns1.eds.com

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B