Why does BIND create a new pid file on conf. reload?

Jari Takkala jari at infid.net
Fri Dec 7 19:11:57 UTC 2001

I understand that the location of the pid file can be changed in named.conf,
however my question was, why does named try to update the pid file if its PID
does not change?

Apologies if this is too OT or trivial for this list, but perhaps I was not
clear in my original question. Is it correct behaviour for named to try and
update the pid file if it's PID does not change when doing a configuration
reload? If it is not, then wouldn't modifying line 3164 of ns_config.c, to
read the following correct the problem?

   3164         if (!reloading)
   3165                 update_pid_file();

Regards,

Jari Takkala

--
Jari Takkala
Senior UNIX Administrator and Network Engineer
email: jari at infid.net