does type forward zones make BIND 8 continuously poll?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 7 21:19:42 UTC 2001

In article <9urb6d$d3u at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Anthony Golia  <Anthony.Golia at morganstanley.com> wrote:

>I mean if I do this:
>
>zone "foo.com" {
>        type forward;
>        forward only;
>        forwarders {
>                10.10.10.10;
>                192.168.1.1;
>        };
>
>and things happen in this order:
>
>-	192.168.1.1 is down
>-	BIND comes up, requests for foo.com come in, BIND frwrds them to
>10.10.10.10
>-	10.10.10.10 goes down, 192.168.1.1 comes up, requests come in
>
>how often does BIND send SOA queies for it's RTT calcs?  any help is
>appreciated.

I don't think it ever sends queries spontaneously.  It uses the RTT of the
forwarded queries.

I think that the way that it discovers when 10.10.10.10 has come back is by
"penalizing" 192.168.1.1 each time it uses it.  Eventually the penalty gets
large enough that it will try another server in its list for the domain.

This is the same for both "type forward" zones and domains known via NS
records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA