Bind behind MDK SNF

Joseph Watson jtwatson at datakota.com
Sat Dec 8 08:04:38 UTC 2001

Will Yardley wrote:

> Joseph Watson wrote:
>
>>         /*
>>          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
>>          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
>>          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
>>          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
>>          * port by default.
>>          */
>>         // query-source address * port 53;
>>

>>This seems to be self explanitory, but how do I open up the
>>unprivliged ports to make this work???? or am I seeing this thing
>>wrong??
>>
>>If someone could give me some ideas it would be great!!
>>

> the point is that you should uncomment these lines and reload bind in
> order for bind to use port 53 for everything. then you don't need to use
> the unprivileged ports.
>
> however i have heard that there are other issues with running bind using
> NAT / port forwarding... i've never done it myself, but you might want
> to search the archives for discussion of this.
>
> i also hope your version of bind isn't really 8.1 and that this is just
> a leftover config file from an earlier bind.  if 'named -v' outputs
> anything below 8.2.3 you should definitely upgrade to a more recent
> version of bind.

I am using bind 9.2 ;)  But the problem is what otheir people have this
setting at.  My server is behind a firewall, and if a outside server needed
to make this setting to see me, then I have the problem.  My firewall needs
to allow the default config to access my server.

So What I get out of this, is if I just forward port 53 through to my
server, it will not work because this port is not being used???  Or is
their more to this thing???

Thanks for the responce :)

Joseph