Servfail When Resolving certain domains

England, Robert (Robert) england at northamerica.exchange.agere.com
Tue Dec 11 16:35:48 UTC 2001

I have forwarded these messages as well as my findings to a bunch of the
email addresses in the SOA and the WHOIS database, for some of the domains
we are having issues with.

The reason I need to make it work is that we have people in Singapore and
other areas that can send to them with their hotmail account etc. They want
to know why our corporate DNS server can't resolve the domains for email to
send, but hotmail can. I don't have an answer for them.

If I tell our users that DNS is incorrect for the domains they are sending
to, they ask me why hotmail can get mail to them and ours can't. They then
ask why their mail servers can resolve them correctly, but our can not.

That is why if understand why a zone forward work and a standard config.
does not then I can with confidence tell them why there is a problem.