National/International link

Cecilia Cabrera ccabrera at ccc.uba.ar
Fri Dec 14 16:26:35 UTC 2001

Hi, i've got a situation here that's been driving me nuts, hope you can
give me some ideas.

It goes like this: our LAN has an international link plus a national link.
Whenever the international link goes down the DNS servers can't acces to
the root servers and don't resolve the names out of his SOA
(mydomain.ar and others.mydomain.ar). Figures.
YET, since i do have a national link up i would like them to resolve the
.ar domains. Specially since the load of so many "unresolvable" requests
end up killing my servers until they can't even answer for mydomain.ar
(quite a nuisance).

So, my root.zone has some entries for ar. but from what i've read i
believe the named doesn't notice them, right? How can i teach him the
ar. NSes regardless of the root nameservers?

I've tried alternate solutions to be used only in such cases, as
forwarding for the ar. zone, but unsuccessfully. Ideas and recomendations
are welcomed. I will reproduce the situation seting up an unpublished NS
and filtering it in the international link so i can solve this.

Thanks in advance,
Cecilia.

PS: i'm running named 8.2.3.