BIND dying

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Dec 14 19:05:21 UTC 2001

At 10:44 PM 12/13/01, Terrence Koeman wrote:

> [...]

That would concern me.

> > Is this the slave?
>
>Yes.
>
> > What other messages are there in the logs to indicate that it died?
>
>None, they are always the last messages in the log before BIND dies and
>is automatically restarted by the service manager. The service manager
>logs an unexpected termination to the eventlog.
>
>Event ID: 7031
>
>"The ISC BIND service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 56
>time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 1000
>milliseconds: Restart the service."
>
> > How large is the zone file?
>
>About 32Mb.

That's huge.  Is this by any chance the antispam list that maintains?
I would not surprised if you get timeouts with a large zone transfer like
that and so-so connectivity.

>I wrote a script to save the PID files in a different directory each
>startup, and I'm not sure but it seems the pid BIND is trying to kill
>('pid xxx kill') is not a pid of named-xfer but of named itself, and
>thus BIND is killing itself while it should kill a named-xfer process.

Can you be sure of that? Win32 doesn't actually use the PID file for anything
it's just there because Unix uses them. named-xfer should exit by itself,
I don't think that named tries to kill it, but I haven't checked the code to be
sure of this.

         Danny