slave server won't run with old data files

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 14 20:10:23 UTC 2001

In article <9vdjjj$kd4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Network Admin  <thsd at thsd.k12.ca.us> wrote:

>I have a school with 1 master and 2 slave DNS servers, all running Linux
>Red Hat
>6.2 with named 8.2.2-P5.  All works OK when the network is normal.  Now,
>
>however, one leg of my network is temporarily down, successfully
>isolating one of
>my slave DNS boxes and a bunch of classrooms.  The problem is the
>isolated slave DNS server has timed out and, naturally, cannot validate
>its data files from the master.  I don't care about DNS for the Internet
>as the connectivity doesn't exist because of the failed net.  However,
>it would be nice if the isolated slave server would work with the local
>zones.  Is there a way to tell named to forget about updating its data
>files and just use the ones it has?

It should do so until the Expire time runs out.  So make sure you have your
SOA Expire fields set to longer than any likely network outage.

You can trick the slave server into thinking that the zone has been updated
by changing the modification time on the DB file.  Use the "touch" command
to update the DB file, then use "ndc reload" to update named.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA