External adresses

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Dec 15 06:16:26 UTC 2001

At 05:45 AM 12/14/01, Xavier wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have installed Bind 8.2.5 under Win NT. I have configured it for my
>intranet. It works well, normal and reverse resolution are OK for local
>hosts. My problem is that external host (internet WEB sites) are not
>resolved.
>
>- I think this is made by the root zone ".", no ?
>
>- can I set to my DNS server other external DNS for unknown hosts ?

If you are behind a firewall, you need to have your server forward queries
that it is not authorative for to a DNS Server at the firewall which can
access external nameservers.  You do this by adding the following

options {
forward only;
forwards { 1.2.3.5;};
};

to named.conf where 1.2.3.5 should be replaced by the IP address of the
server which can make external queries.

         Danny