How to configure a sub-domain?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Dec 17 13:35:00 UTC 2001

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 12:13:31PM -0800, Pete Ehlke wrote:
> * Nate Campi <nate at wired.com> said, on [011216 01:06]:
> >
> > Well, I'm not saying this is correct, right, good, or in any way
> > recommended, but if you keep the subdomain on the same host(s) as the
> > parent zone, you can create a subdomain/subzone without NS records in
> > the parent zone for the subdomain. You can create it in the BIND config
> > file, it'll load and it's RR's will resolve just fine (assuming the
> > zone/subdomain has the proper NS and SOA entries like any other zone).
> >
> It'll only work if you're not running bind 9. v4 and v8 both
> promote child NS records into the parent zone; v9 strictly
> enforces zone boundaries. See the archives of bind9-users from just last
> week for a textbook example of this happening, and how it bit one
> sysadmin from a .edu
>
> This is one of those technically incorrect practices that older binds
> let people get away with, imnsho to their detriment. Don't do it.

Actually, if I am reading Nate's post correctly, it WILL work.  He is
not proposing creating a separate zone.  He is proposing having the
child domains in the SAME zone [and same zone file] as the parent
domains.  This is legal in all versions of BIND.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B