.us problem?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Dec 18 23:00:40 UTC 2001

In article <9vo9f8$9sd at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Michael Mulligan <mulligan at dayglo.state.ky.us> wrote:
>One of our agencies is having a problem with outside resolution to
>anything in kycourts.net (www.kycourts.net for example)
>
>The problem began with complaints from users on AOL, but appears to be
>global. If I dig www.kycourts.net from a server out in Internetland
>that does not have it cached, I get:

I think this is due to BIND's limit on query restarts.  It takes too many
nested queries to find all the nameservers involved in satisfying this
query, and it gives up.  The next time you try, some of the information is
already cached, so it doesn't have to do as many additional queries, and it
succeeds.

kycourts.net is delegated to aocdns[12].courts.cog.ky.us.  courts.cog.ky.us
is delegated to aocdns[12].courts.state.ky.us, state.ky.us is delegated to
{azure,midnight}.state.ky.us, they delegate courts.state.ky.us to
aocdns[12].courts.state.ky.us.  So just to get the addresses of the
nameservers for the kycourts.net domain it may be necessary to perform
about 4 nested queries.

BTW, aocdns[12].courts.cog.ky.us and aocdns[12].courts.state.ky.us resolve
to the same addresses.  If they fix the delegations to use the same names,
it would probably help.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA