bind9

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Tue Dec 18 23:20:50 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 06:11:06PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
>
> > <9vbivo$8mu at pub3.rc.vix.com> divulged:
> > >In article <9vbhvg$8jq at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jobe Bittman  <jobe at tns.net> wrote:
> >
> > while the dns protocol doesn't have anything to deal with this there's no
> > particular reason that bind shouldn't consider such an addition, using a
> > different (perhaps private) protocol that would support this notion, much
> > as it does already for controlling the daemon.
>
> DNMP = Domain Nameserver Management Protocol?

Men and Mice seem to run a separate deamon that manages the BIND config
file outside of the named process (for their DNS management software). I
test drove the app one day when one of their sales droids called me. The
idea is good, but overkill IMHO, as would extra features in BIND to do
this.

I've described how I manage my zones on this list before. I find perl, rsync
over ssh and the include directive to be all I need. I run some very
busy servers, and uptime is mandatory. New functionality where it isn't
necessary scares me, it too often causes downtime (through instablility,
security breaches, or just plain broken-ness).

My whole solution is only a few lines of perl. Writing the documentation
for work took far longer than creating the zone management solution
itself.

Just my $0.02.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | SF UNIX Operations | (415) 276-8678

If you tell them, they never listen. If they listen, they never
learn. If they learn, they never remember. If they remember, they
never obey.