How to Resolve external names without timeout on reverse lookups

Sommariva Graziano Graziano.Sommariva at elsag.it
Wed Dec 19 11:16:32 UTC 2001

Hello,

We have DNS on DMZ that resolves external names ,and a private internal DNS
structure for internal DNS.
For this reason internal hosts cannot resolve external names pointing to
internal DNS

For historical and histerical reasons we have many IP classes in the
internal network that are in the External ip range.

If I instruct internal ROOT DNS servers to forward to external DNS server to
resolve the "REST of the world" I risk to get many timeouts whenever an
INTENAL" host belonging to public "IP-Range" telnets to a host requesting
the reverse ip address.

I though to declare  my internal root-DNS servers as primary all possiblie
in-arpa zones present on my network.

Any suggestion?

Graz

Graziano Sommariva