Plethora of logged messages started up

Robert Gahl bgahl at bawcsa.org
Thu Dec 20 00:15:45 UTC 2001

At 06:47 PM 12/19/2001 -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>It's probably just a change in the logging level. If you want to see exactly
>what queries are being denied, one way to see that is to lift your allow-query
>ACL temporarily and look at the query log. If you're paranoid, you could set
>an allow-recursion ACL while you're doing that just to make sure nobody is
>poisoning your cache or perpetrating a denial-of-service attack on your
>server.

Thanks for the help, Kevin. I'm not too paranoid, so I removed the
allow-query ACL below in the slave:

> > >options {
> > >         directory       "/etc/dns";
> > >         pid-file        "/var/log/named.pid";
> > >         listen-on       { 127.0.0.1; 63.146.119.75; };
> > >         query-source    address * port 53;
> > > //        allow-query {
> > > //                trusted;
> > > //       };
> > >         allow-transfer {
> > >                 none;
> > >         };
> > >         blackhole {
> > >                 bogon;
> > >         };
> > >};

There are no messages at all now (which I pretty much expect). However,
here's the odd part. I thought the following information over-rode the
overall ACL:

> > >         // Fireclick hardware (official master)
> > >         zone "fireclick.com" {
> > >                 type master;
> > >                 file "primary/zone.fireclick.com";
> > >                 allow-query {
> > >                         any;
> > >                 };
> > >                 allow-transfer {
> > >                         localhost;
> > >                         fireclick-xfer;
> > >                 };
> > >         };

My reading of the 4th edition says to me it does. So, do these error
messages mean someone is asking me for something I'm not providing? Do I
need to turn on logging within the named.conf to see what that is?

Thanks.

===
Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile ||     @
     ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org     ||  !_ \
"Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
king." Chinese Proverb