Dynamic update fails with readonly master file

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Dec 20 04:30:51 UTC 2001

> Greetings:
>
> I'm using BIND 8.2.3-R on FreeBSD 4.3 and trying to do a dynamic update
> for one domain but the permissions for the master file keep changing to
> read-only (444).  Owner/group is bind/bind.  If I change perms to 664
> the update goes fine.

	Firstly the problem in not to do with the permissions of
	the master file.  Named does not write to the master file.
	It writes a new master file and when that is done it replaces
	the old file with the new file using rename().  So long as
	the permissions on the directory are correct this will work.

	The permissions are read-only so that it becomes harder for
	people to manually update the master file.

> I had this working with another domain and didn't see this behavior.
> Same box, same versions.  What's going on  and what am I missing?

	Well without seeing what is being reported it is hard to say.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org