master and slave name server, expert advice needed.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 21 18:28:43 UTC 2001

In article <9vvlmp$ik1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, qazaka <qazakax at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   Currently i running ns1.foo.com and ns2.foo.com as all of my
>website nameserver.
>
>   Now, i m going to setup a slave name server ns3.foo.com and
>ns4.foo.com for redundancy.
>
>   This the the slave nameserver's named.conf
>
>   ##########
>   options {
>   pid-file "/etc/namedb/named.pid";
>   directory "/etc/namedb";
>   listen-on {
>   127.0.0.1;
>   3.3.3.3; //slave ns3
>   4.4.4.4; //slave ns4
>   };

ns3 should have 3.3.3.3, ns4 should have 4.4.4.4.  They shouldn't both have
both addresses in their named.conf files.

>   How can i verify the ns3 and ns4.foo.com is running correctly?

Use dig.

>   I tried dig @ns3.foo.com www.foo.com, but fail..
>   and dig @ns1.foo.com www.foo.com is successfully

Then you've verified that ns3 is not running correctly.

>   What i need is all my domain name assigned with ns1 and ns3.
>   When ns1 is down, the site still can be reach, because ns3 is
>running as "backup" for the sites

You need to check the log on ns3 to see why it couldn't transfer the zone.
Does ns1 have 3.3.3.3 and 4.4.4.4 in its allow-transfer statement?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA