BIND 8.2.5 for Win2K fails to start

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Dec 24 03:08:01 UTC 2001

The usual reason for this particular error to occur is that named couldn't find
named.conf.  To be sure you can run named directly from the DOS prompt
by cd'ing to c:\winnt\system32\dns\bin and running named as follows:

named -f -d2

I will then spit out all the logging to the DOS window.  Make sure that you
increase the window buffer to say 2000 lines so that you can scroll back.
Note: named.conf should be in c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\ in your case.
If it's not move it into there. Make sure it's really named named.conf.

         Danny