How to set load balancing within DNS servers?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 24 16:08:33 UTC 2001

In article <a02i24$rkl at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
David Xiao <xiao at info.sta.net.cn> wrote:

>Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message
>news:<9vvv21$jm3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>...
>> In article <9vvlmf$ijq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
>> David Xiao <xiao at info.sta.net.cn> wrote:
>> >because some of my users only use my primary DNS server as their DNS.
>> >without include the secondary Server.So the CPU usage is different.
>> >when dns1 is nearly 50%, dns2 is only 10%.so it is important that I must
>> >find a way to set another server to improve the dns1's performance.
>> >can I set a load balancing within dns1 and other one like dns3?
>> >How can i do that?
>>
>> You could use a load balancer like Cisco Local Director.
>the cisco local director is expensive for me.
>I heard someone use RR.It alse do the work.
>what is this?
>Does it mean that i can set like this,
>1)in my zone file set
>dns1   IN    A     1.2.3.4
>       IN    A     5.6.7.8

This won't work for clients.  The DNS search list is a list of addresses,
not names (if it were names, how would they look them up?).

That's why you need a load distribution device -- the users can only put
one address first in their list, but you want that address to be relayed to
different machines.

Another solution is to tell half your users to change the order of their
DNS Search List.  Some should put 1.2.3.4 first, and other should put
5.6.7.8 first.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA