Zone syntax problem.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Dec 26 15:10:20 UTC 2001

In article <a0aj7e$lv0 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote:

>Charles Bodley <bodley at tflogic.com> wrote:
>
>> Could anyone tell me what is wrong with my zone file. I based it off an
>> working file but this one generates errors whenever I run named-checkzone on
>> it. Below is a copy of the zone file and the error.
>
>> $ORIGIN .
>> $TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
>> tf-pdc.internal.tflogic.com IN SOA tf-pdc.internal.tflogic.com.
>                            ^^
>missing dot here

No there isn't.  Since the origin is ".", names are implicitly anchored to
the root zone.

>> hostmaster.tflogic.com. (
>>                                 2001082499 ; serial
>>                                 43200      ; refresh (12 hours)
>>                                 7200       ; retry (2 hours)
>>                                 1209600    ; expire (2 weeks)
>>                                 3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
>>                                 )
>                                ^^^^
>trailing parantesis on it's own line - that's not gonna work in
>conforming nameservers. Move to previous line.

That's not true.  RFC 1035 says:

( )             Parentheses are used to group data that crosses a line
                boundary.  In effect, line terminations are not
                recognized within parentheses.

Since line terminations are ignored (except that they terminate comments),
the line break before that trailing parenthesis should be ignored.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA